Sunday, October 14, 2012

Blast from my Writing Past

*I chose to revisit a very old piece of my writing. This is from the English 101 class I took as a freshman. The assignment was to choose 5 songs that have made an impact on my life.

Key:
Brushstrokes
Participles
Adjectivies out of order
Apposotives
Absolutes


“When you cry be sure to dry your eyes 'cause better days are sure to come, and when you smile be sure to smile wide, don't let them know that they have won. And when you walk, walk with pride, don't show the hurt inside, because the pain will soon be gone” This verse from my all-time favorite song “Dream Big” by Ryan Shupe has been some of the most inspirational and motivational words to me. This song helped me through some hard times in my life. When my hopes are down and I'm feeling lost, this song gives me strength every time I hear it and can lift my spirits on any day. The upbeat melody and amazing lyrics make it my very favorite song, and it always helps me to remember to dream big.

“Hear you Me” by Jimmy Eat World is such a beautiful song. It puts me at ease and is very peaceful. Any time I hear it I think of my grandma, beautiful and kind, who passed away. It’s nice to remember her and what an amazing woman she was. My grandma gave me a small angel that I keep with me always and in the song there are a few lyrics about angels that remind me of my special keepsake from her. A line from the song also says; “What would you think of me now? So lucky, so strong, so proud.” I like to think that my grandma is watching down and is very proud of me for what I am doing with my life. I miss her everyday and this song is a beautiful reminder of her.

Some songs can put me in an exact moment in my life. Any time I hear the song “Don’t stop Believing” by Journey I go back to June, 12, 2010. Graduation day was a very proud and happy day in my life. I can still smell the fresh cut grass on the football field, see the fireworks light up the sky, and hear this song belting from the speakers. Everyone in my entire graduating class was up on our chairs singing along with Journey at the top of our lungs. With my best friends by my side and my family watching from the stands it was a very bitter sweet moment, but we were all ready to take our next step into the world. It was an amazing night, and a great song to send us along on our lives while always remembering to never stop believing.

My 2 best friends Kaela and Hollie are like sisters to me. During the summer of 2009 is when we became very close. “Tik Tok” is another one of those songs that can put me in a time and place. Over that summer, a transition between high school years, we all discovered a lot about ourselves andeach other. There was never a dull or boring day and this song seemed to always be playing. All the laughter, tears, and trouble WAS A TURNING POINT IN MY LIFE {PASSIVE}, as well as the most fun summer of my life.

One of my very favorite artists Miranda Lambert sings “The House that Built Me”. This song reminds me to never forget my family and where I came from. Plus, I love to sing and I’ve gotten pretty good at singing along with Miranda during this song. I sang choir in high school and sometimes I regret giving it up but Miranda is a really great artist and she inspires me to still do what I love; even just for fun. Sometimes being away from home at college, it’s easy to forget your past. But I have the greatest memories of my childhood growing up in Wenatcheeand this song helps me to always remember by roots and where I’ve been. My family is so important to me and they have HELPED {ACTIVE} shape me into the person I am today.

2 comments:

  1. I wish my English 101 class had us write a paper like this one because it seems like you had a lot of fun with this piece. Those are all great songs by the way.

    That is so awesome you were able to use each of the brush strokes within this paper. I would have liked to have seen you highlight more, seeing as how you have more here.

    "With my best friends by my side and my family watching from the stands it was a very bitter sweet moment, but we were all ready to take our next step into the world," this sentence could be restructured due to commas out of place. It's a great sentence and could be used as one of your brushstrokes as well.

    All in all, this was a good piece of writing and fits the academic criteria. It seems like you are also getting the hang of Active and passive voices.

    Good job Hannah, keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear. Yes, Hannah, you got the appositive, adjectives out of order, and active voice verb correctly labeled. The others--well, both you and Evan need more practice. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete