Sunday, September 23, 2012

Got a way to go, but I'm getting closer.

In my teaching and learning class we are discussing the way in which children learn and how their brain develops. Sometimes I need to take a moment to realize that I myself still have a lot to learn before I would feel completely confident teaching a classroom. I’ve had some teachers in my years of school that could still use a little learning themselves!

The activity using the magnetic poetry words was such a blast. It was fun and I was able to learn more about the way sentences should be put together. BECAUSE grammar has never been the entire focus of a class I’ve taken, these new things are quite enlightening. A teacher has never taken the time to break apart sentences or even explain the parts of it.

I’m going to be honest here and say that this was the first time hearing about the S-v-o sentence (And all the other styles!) BUT I didn’t panic when they were introduced and instead I worked hard on grasping the new knowledge. It’s easy FOR me to get discouraged AND I’m learning that just because it’s a new concept doesn’t mean I won’t be able to understand it. ALTHOUGH I may not always understand, I can keep working at it and use my peers and Barbara for help.

In the magnetic words activity my partner and I created sentences using our Country Words selection. We produced a sentence, ‘I believe in Mama’. Short and simple, YET it addresses the subject, verb and object. We also came up with ‘I keep forgetting why I love you.’ Too funny!

I’m learning that I still have learning to do. SINCE this class is helping me become SO much I feel closer to my goal of becoming totally confident in a classroom of my own. With patience I think I’ll be able to achieve that. As mama always says, never give up! AND I do believe in mama.

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job with your subordinating conjunctions (AAAWWUBBIS'). Some of your FANBOYS are a little shaky though. In your third paragraph there should be a comma before BUT. The next AND in that paragraph adds a new compounding sentence- good- but the FOR is not a coordinating conjunction the way you used it. For it to be a coordinating/compounding conjunction you need to use it to add a sentence to the first sentence. Your use of YET is good. Then in the bottom paragraph the SO is describing the much –so much- so it is not adding a new sentence on. Does that make sense? Sorry if I’m just being confusing.
    I liked your sentences your group made for the magnetic boards last week in class. They were fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea's basically right. I'll just help with the vocabulary a bit:
    FOR as you've used it is a preposition.
    SO as in SO MUCH is an adverb, SO modifying the adjective MUCH.

    In any case, I think this is your best blog yet, Hannah. I'm loving your use of AAAWWUUBBBIS clauses to structure your sentences a bit differently.

    Keep experimenting! I, too, believe in mama--and you!

    ReplyDelete