Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cheers to Crimson in Seattle!


It’s been a long and crazy weekend. Before this weekend I hadn’t been to Seattle in several years. I don’t usually go anywhere besides Pullman and my hometown, Wenatchee. So it was nice to get out and about somewhere new- to say the least.

 We took off after class on Friday and ALTHOUGH we didn’t leave until 3 there were still plenty of other people doing the same thing. Wenatchee is only 3 hours from Pullman so the 5+ hour road trip to Seattle was quite a long trek. When we got to Othello we saw a horrible car accident involving a semi and small truck. WHOEVER was in that small truck was taken in the ambulance- I hope he was ok. I got in a car accident last Thanksgiving break on the way home, so when I see them I always get so upset.

Seeing the windmills before Ellensburg was really neat! I had no idea they are that big and so many! (Like I said, I don’t get out much.) The girls in the car had a little chuckle because I was so amazed. For them the trip is common but it was an entertaining ride for me.

Seattle really is so pretty. It’s really amazing how different it is from my town. And ALTHOUGH I was extremely intimidated by the big city at first, I was able to take everything in. We rode a boat, or “water taxi”, on the Puget Sound that dropped us off near the stadium. I was ready for some Cougar football!

The whole place was a sea of crimson and grey. Of course there were a bunch of duck fans…but who cares about that? There were tailgaters everywhere! Every group of fans seemed to have the SAME THINGS: beer, food and lots of spirit. That’s one thing I love about being a Coug; the pride we have in our school is loud and proud.

Even though we didn’t come out with a W, the weekend was a win in my books. I’m glad I decided to go and take on the big city. It was a weekend of good fun, friends and as always, my Cougs.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post, glad to hear you had a good weekend on the west side, I didnt get to go sadly. Your writing is descriptive and I can easily imagine everything you wrote about. Although from what I can tell you didnt hit all the patterns of the week, granted four is a lot. You hit the AAAWWUBBIS clause and the parallelism. You barely touched on the relative clauses, I was under the impression we were supposed to use all of them. If not then you were spot on, if we were you only used "Whoever" in your post, at least that were capitalized to be easily found. For the appositives you were three for four. You hit the comma, colon and parenthesis but left out the dash. I scanned through a few times and failed to find it. My suggestion for next week is to write out a checklist of the patterns to have next to you while you write your blog (it's what I do!) so you can mark off the ones you have included and you know which you still have to add.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun! I went to Seattle also this weekend and there were Cougs everywhere; I was lovin' it. I don't think you used all the patterns of the week that we were suppposed to hit on this blog...I saw a few of the appositives, but I don't know if you actually did it correctly (for the parentheses one in particular). But other than that I enjoyed reading your blog and getting a glimpse of your weekend in Seattle and then reliving mine at the same time. Go Cougs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a little confused if you used all the patterns of the week or not because you only capitalized 'although' a few times, 'whoever' and 'same things'. Also, maybe I'm wrong on this but when I researched AAAWWUBBIS online it was saying that the words need to go at the beginning; or like I said, at least that's what I found online. But if I am correct in saying that then when you used the pattern of the week in the sentence "We took off after class on Friday and ALTHOUGH we didn’t leave until 3 there were still plenty of other people doing the same thing", then I think it might be incorrect. Also, I'm not quite sure you used appossotives correctly. In 'More Nitty-Gritty Grammar' that appositives are like extra descriptions for your initial noun or "renamers"; they give specific meaning to the nouns they describe. I wasn't sure if when you used the dashes if they were your example or not but if they are they seemed more like continued thoughts, not an appositive. However, your sentence " Every group of fans seemed to have the SAME THINGS: beer, food and lots of spirit" was a great example. (So maybe I was wrong about the prior thing I pointed out as being more examples for appositives...). Good job on the relative clause too. I'm not sure if I found parallelism though..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on your AAAWWUBBIS clauses, which really do give your sentences more structural variety. They can go at the beginning or at the end.

    I do see a couple of appositives. Besides the one that Kara mentioned, I see this one:

    "That’s one thing I love about being a Coug; the pride we have in our school is loud and proud. "

    ... except you needed to use a colon instead of a semicolon. Then PRIDE WE HAVE IN OUR SCHOOL IS LOUD AND PROUD = THING.

    You're still using primarily simple and compound sentences, and in your compound sentences, you're not putting a comma before your FANBOYS. Do keep experimenting with structural variety. That will key to your growth as a writer.

    ReplyDelete